The Westraven Witch
Preparing the Adventure
- Familiarize yourself thoroughly with all of the encounters. Given that the players are on a tight time limit, it would be unfair for them to have to wait while you try to figure things out. Likewise, monsters acting in fights should be quick, to maintain the pace.
- Obtain a large analog clock whose time can be adjusted easily.
- Obtain an alarm clock to be used to keep track of real time.
- Download and print these files: Items, Map Quick Reference Cards, Monster Cards, Puzzle
- Prepare the required maps and miniatures (and/or tokens) for combat. It is recommended to set aside the required tiles for each room and their accompanying miniatures perhaps in separate envelopes or ziplock bags. (I’m a fan of a “room in a bag” method myself.) I’ve created Hang Tags If you’re not familiar with them, perhaps it’s time to pay a visit to Sly Flourish
- Print each of the five Rumors (Rumors) on cardstock.
Running the Adventure
- Provide the players the pregen characters and some time to familiarize themselves with them. (Recommended: pizza + beer + pregens + get weekly chit-chat out of system + tell that joke you know about the blondes trying out for FBI informant = 1 hour.)
- Allow one last chance for questions from players.
- Read the Background to the players in its entirety.
- Randomly distribute the Rumors amongst the players.
- Set the real-time alarm clock.
- Set the analog clock to 10:00 (am). Use it to track the game time. For example, each time the party says they’re taking a short rest, advance the clock by five minutes. If they decide to take ten minutes to search a room, advance it ten, and so on.
- Describe their arrival in Dark Passage